Knowledgeable groom to take care of a therapeutic herd of predominantly 5 horses. Main activities are pony club, occasional low level polo, and therapeutic herd working with groups and individuals seeking psychotherapy or workshops.
All ponies live out except in extreme weather or vet recommended.
Must be able to drive well as some school runs as well as to pony camp or polo. 7.5t driving experience a bonus but not essential.
Groom, Yard and other Duties
• Sole charge of the family’s yard, horses, chickens, yard cat to ensure health and welfare and fitness of all the animals and the security of tack room contents.
• Feeding the horses, chickens, guinea pigs, yard cat and managing their diets. Dogs on occasion.
• Mucking out, preparing the horses beds, chicken coop and keeping a tidy muck heap and yard
• Exercising and keeping the herd fit for work and dogs walked daily
• Schooling of the horses
• To help where needed with Pony Club, Equine Facilitated training workshops
• To encourage family child riding, stable management, care and exercise of their horse and guinea pigs.
• To prepare and pack the lorry.
• To keep the tack clean and tack room neat, tidy and well organised
• Ordering of food for the animals
• Arranging farrier, teeth filing and vet
• Administering medicines to the animals when prescribed
• Liasing with the vet when necessary and keeping owner informed of any ailments
• Ensuring the yard is presentable and clean
• Preparing horses for therapy, hacks and/or lessons/workshops
• To be available at weekends as and when needed (majority of Sundays off, but not all)
• Checking the horses and animals in the evening
• Paddock and grounds maintenance, outdoor harrowing, arena upkeep and round pen maintenance.
• Lorry kept clean, tidy and well equipped
• Organising cover for animals during holidays
• Support with school runs, housework, childcare when needed for national and international travel with work
Enhanced DBS preferred.
Expert areas above are preferred but not necessary.
Skills area required Equine first aid (training details given if needed), schooling, riding, driving license, lunging, plaiting.
Required Key Skills
Working with children
Open plan kitchen/lounge, 1 bedroom with en-suite bathroom
Small south facing garden.
Own, self-contained accommodation on site with small private garden, includes electricity with moderate use but excludes all bills such as phone, council tax, etc
Available for job share for a couple
Daytime hours predominantly free except during workshops/trainings/polo/pony club days - these are not weekly.
Own dog possible, dogs/animals on site must get on with them.
Nearby train direct to London / Reading / Oxford
20 mins from Heathrow.